TECHNET Archives

February 2007

From:
Gary Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Gary Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:12:21 -0700
It is based on square inches of copper on the outside layers of the
PWB. If one side has alot less square inches of copper than the other
side, they will add nonfunctional copper to balance the design. The
purpose is to reduce bow and twist. Inside layers being non balanced
also plays a significant role as well and that it is harder to
balance and control. There are other factors that also contribute to
bow and twist and that is the prepreg and grain structure of the prepreg.

Many OEM's or contract manufactuers place blame on the PWB
manufacturer when it is a design issue. In many cases the PWB
manufacturer cannot control this. The control of bow and twist begins
at the designing stage of the circuit board. The problem is also
compounded because more and more product is required to be in array
format instead of individual boards fabbed out. This reduces
stability in the array as well and creates problems for contract
manufacturers performing their assembly processes due to excess boaw and twist.

Gary