TECHNET Archives

February 2007

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 08:50:31 -0000
For a starter, here is an answer on this China subject that I gave to a
similar, slightly broader question  on long term (chemical) stability of
solders and fluxes in electronic assemblies recently. It's good for a
perspective if nothing else. Hope it helps:
--
Hmm, the answer to your question is a very long time, many decades for tin
/lead solders. We know that from the life cycles of existing soldered

So far as leaching is concerned, or at least chemical attack from
ingredients, the fluxes are defined as non corrosive by IPC for the
applications they are in. A no clean flux is little different in this
respect than its RMA predecessors and again we can point to decades of use.

The worst conditions we can point to are probably those pertaining to
landfill, end of life in other words. Here the studies show that leaded
solders are stable, the US EPA did a study on environmental impact of leaded
solders/electronics >15 years ago and you should be able to find that OK. If
its OK in damp ground with acids etc from landfill its must be OK in
ordinary air.

Turning to lead free, the situation is not so clear,  first there are a
number of novel alloys involved so not so much history, secondly
environmental impact studies on SAC alloys for example show they can leach
into ground water from landfill, unlike  leaded ones.

Looking at the nearest thing to SACs, we get the tin/silvers, these have
been used in the automotive and defence industries for about 50 years with
no indications of unreliability, so for the purposes of this study we can
say they are stable and we go back to the fluxes. They meet the same
standards as leaded so no change.

For documentation on this: as said the US EPA study, the British NPL has
done some reliability studies and these are free to download. One of the
biggest repositories of knowledge on line for solders is

http://www.boulder.nist.gov/div853/lead%20free/props01.html

 and I would look there first for authoritative references.
--

Regards

Mike Fenner
Indium Corporation