TECHNET Archives

February 2007

From:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:35:28 -0500
Dale,

There are a lot of similarities, yes. I at one point or another contributed to both documents. The 001 is the process spec, the 610 is the qualification spec. They are used by two different groups within the factory. The 610 is really all about the artwork/visuals. The 001 is what the process engineers would (in theory) use. Remember that the 610 was traditionally used by the commercial guys and the 001 is the offspring of the DoD's Mil-Std-2000 and the IPC's own (mostly ignored) soldering spec (whose number I can't recall * 815, maybe?). The big primes at the time (TI, Lockheed, Hughes, Raytheon, etc.) pushed for a joint standard, hence the "J," and really drove the spec. There was a lot of tutorial/process info in the early versions of the 001; most of that has now been removed, with the idea that the spec should tell you where you need to go but not how to get there. Later, the 610 and 001 task groups started holding occasional joint sessions to iron out the differences between the documents. Which brings us to where we are today.

Anyway, you probably weren't asking for a history lesson, but that should shed some light on why things are the way they are.

Mike

Mike Buetow
Editor in Chief
Circuits Assembly
30 Glenburnie Road
Boston, MA 02131 USA
W/mobile: 617-327-4702

Watch our latest on-demand video Webinar!
www.pcbshows.com/webinars/ondemand/siemens

RoHS in China Webinar: Thursday, Jan. 18, 2 pm EST
Register at www.pcbshows.com/webinars

>>> [log in to unmask] 2/15/2007 8:51 AM >>>

Hi Dale,

We've always thought of J-STD-001 as the "how to" book and the IPC-A-610
as the "inspection criteria".

I believe that if you combined the two you'd end up with a pretty big
document. We like having the 610 on the line as a reference without all
the verbiage of the 001.

Just my Thursday $ .02!

KennyB