TECHNET Archives

January 2007

From:
- Bogert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, - Bogert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:51:31 -0500
January 5, 2007

As a military equipment customer, we allow our OEM'S to submit for our approval, an Alternate Parts Drawing (APD).  This is an A size drawing.  The APD does a number of things for us.  It allows folks to substitute better than parts; it allows use of specific alternate parts; it deals with DoD changes to specifications such as MIL-DTL vice MIL-PRF vice A-A prefix drawings, etc.  It also deals with using different vendor process documents.  For example, if a drawing states to weld per vendor procedure ABC and if the product is subsequently sub-contracted to another vendor who uses procedure DEF, the APD allows procedure DEF as an alternative to procedure ABC.  This is based on our review of procedure DEF.

One of the big advantages of this APD concept is that we save $ by avoiding the cost of revising hundreds of assembly drawings just to deal with part number substitutions.  Once we approve a vendor specific APD, the vendor does not need to revise any assembly drawing until such time that the drawing is being revised for other reasons.  At that time, the vendor then rolls in the change to the P/N to incorporate the information from the APD.  The vendors also use the APD during receiving inspection to allow acceptance of the alternate parts.