TECHNET Archives

January 2007

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 16:51:44 -0500
Preaching to the choir here for sure. I've had fewer bad experiences with
substitution of resistors than capacitors. I recently learned that;
higher voltage rating Tantalum caps, of the same series can have higher ESR.
So, if you are looking for a specific ESR from a specific capacitor series,
higher voltage rating might be bad.
In addition, apparently, X5R caps have generally lower ESR than X7R so
improved temperature coefficients might not give better function.