TECHNET Archives

January 2007

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 08:35:36 -0600
Hi Kenny!

WOOOO-HOOOO! IT'S FRIDAY!

Back when Texas Instruments first changed their lead finish to Palladium
in 1989 - 1990 without telling anybody, I remember we were doing all
kinds of touch-up that didn't need to be done because of the different
appearance of the solder joints in comparison to solder joints on parts
that had standard tin/lead plating.

I contacted TI back then because I thought there was some sort of
solderability problem with their parts. It was then that I was directed
to TI's; "Palladium Lead Finish User's Manual". It's still available at:
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ml/sdyv001/sdyv001.pdf

When you read it, it says they told all their users that they were
switching over to a new palladium lead finish, but I don't think that's
true. Nobody I worked with back at that time knew anything about it.
Anyways, It's got a bunch of environmental data that was done when
everybody was using tin/lead solders.

-Steve Gregory-