TECHNET Archives

January 2007

From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 08:15:03 -0600
Hi, Bev.
Reuven is correct in stating that the PWB is the biggest concern. But
the concern about adjacent parts and their solder joints is also great,
especially from a reliability standpoint.

When we develop and qualify our rework profiles, we put thermocouples on
the PWB, on the adjacent components, directly on one of the leads if
possible and on the adjacent component body. We then chart the
temperature of the leads of the component being reworked and the
adjacent component bodies and leads as well.

You can prevent the adjacent component body from exceeding 100 deg. C
and the solder joints from exceeding 150 C by masking them off, not with
tinfoil or Kapton tape which is not ESD-safe and is a thermal conductor,
but with an ESD-safe insulative hi-temperature masking tape. This tape
is commonly available in industry catalogs and is about ten times
cheaper than Kapton tape. We make sure the pwb never exceeds 140-150 C,
as we do not want to get into the Tg zone during rework.

We pre-bake the assembly if it has been out exposed to humidity for
longer than 12 hours. We have qualified this process by understanding
exactly what the moisture retention rate is for the standard PWB and the
rate for different PWB materials, and the time required to bake out the
moisture to a level less than 20% of saturated weight, and the length of
time before the moisture content has returned to above 50% of its
maximum (saturated) weight. We track the time the assembly has been out
after the original bake prior to assembly and reflow. The rest of the
time we keep the assemblies in dry chambers if they are not being worked
on, up to test.
We control the Open Floor Life of MSDs up to reflow. After that, for
rework, we pre-bake only for the sake of the PWB. If we have a component
that failed for something other than a workmanship issue (wrong part,
misplacement, damaged from mishandling, etc.) then we make sure the
assembly is baked long enough to remove the failed component safely for
purposes of failure analysis and/or RTV.

While this may not be practical for most PWB assemblies or for
commercial product, we do this as both our bare PWBs are extremely
expensive, and the finished assembly much more so. We build military and
space hardware, so we need to know that the adjacent component's solder
joints are not being heated up close to liquidus and the component
bodies are not being heated up to the temperature where water boils.

However, once the system is set up, it is remarkably easy to control all
of your product this way. We never, ever have a board delaminated in the
reflow oven nor as a result of rework. And we never have popcorned
components.

While it is a massive culture change to implement a system such as this,
once it is done there is a real culture of "reliability consciousness"
in the factory.