TECHNET Archives

January 2007

From:
John Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, John Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:12:02 -0800
Steve,
What you have appears to be a classic inrush current failure of a
tantalum capacitor. High dV/dt of the voltage across the cap flexes the
dielectric layer due to its electrostrictive nature and if there are
inclusions in the thin dielectric (~10nM) a small crack can result
rapidly  increasing leakage current. Depending on the flaw size and
resulting current, localized Joule heating can convert the dielectric
film to an electrically conductive crystalline state and can easily
overwhelm the healing or scabbing effect of an MnO2 cathode or depend on
localized destruction of polymer in that cathode system.

I suggest that you check the manufacturers data sheet and expect to see
a recommended series resistor measured in Ohms that was probably not
used in the design.

I really loved tantalum capacitors when I was a consultant.

John Maxwell