TECHNET Archives

January 2007

From:
Peter Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Peter Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 10:42:56 -0000
Cleaning:

My guesstimate is that the UK is 85%+ no-clean after either reflow or
wave solder. In the latter case, the liquid fluxes have very low solids
content these days (~ 2%), therefore low residue.

Cleaning takes place in quite hi-rel applications, or before conformal
coating, although not always in that case either.

No-clean could even be higher than 85% - maybe we'll run a survey here
through the SMART Group to give a better picture.

I suspect that the TechNet and similar forums' membership are not
typical of the assembly industry as a whole. I think it is skewed
towards the hi-rel, more complicated or leading edge end of the
industry, where the issues are more complex and the outcomes more
critical. Therefore people need more help, are prepared and required to
go more in-depth, and cover their behinds with extensive in-house
research and evaluations... and use other resources. Hence, I think that
the percentage of TechNet members who post-solder clean is higher than
the USA market as a whole, or anywhere else. Just an impression.

I also suspect that the profile of electronics assembly in the two
markets are similar, although the US is larger or course - the UK no
longer has any high volume consumer electronics or mobile telephone
manufacture. We have also lost all the major EMS companies like
Celestica, Flextronics, Solectron, Jabil, etc all of whom used to have
big factories here - we have just a few stubs left. We have got a bunch
of medium size EMS companies, automotive electronics, quite a lot of
defence and military, instrumentation, medical, telecom, et al. Maybe
the originator of this thread's company, Dolby, is a good example of
what we have - they make professional digital audio products here. Nigel
is a buddy, by the way.

If you divvy the whole thing up by IPC Class I, II, III - I think the
percentages would be about the same here and there. Cleaning, therefore,
is not necessarily a class issue!

Peter
Peter Swanson           [log in to unmask]
INTERTRONICS                http://www.intertronics.co.uk
Tel: +44 1865 842842                   Oxfordshire, England

INTERTRONICS is dedicated to providing quality material, consumable
and equipment solutions to the high technology, high performance
assembly industries, incorporating outstanding levels of technical
support and customer service.

Read our blog! http://www.intertronics.co.uk/blog/blog.htm