TECHNET Archives

January 2007

From:
David Duross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Duross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:24:45 -0500
It sounds like you are asking a question we have been dealing with in the
US. From my experience I used to optimize my panel size to the individual
printed circuit board. We would have a large inventory of press plates and
glass tooling frames to accommodate any panel size we could think of.
However, we were building process lots where the total customer order would
add up to thousands of process panels. It was all about saving on materials.
Since the volume orders have left the US, many of us are all now quick-turn
and prototype shops. In place of one large order to work on for days we have
many small orders. I went from as few as 3 setups a day to as high as 25
setups in a given department for a single shift. Multiple panel sizes were
killing us with regards to production through-put. When we restricted our
panel inventory to three sizes our set-up time was greatly reduced. We ended
up having more waste on the panel but save on setup and throughput. I hope
this helps.

Regards,
David Duross
Quality Control Manager