TECHNET Archives

January 2007

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 07:53:20 -0500
Ditto here.  But if you CAN'T get alternatives, you CAN make reliable
joints to these devices, but the profile is very tough to optimize.  I
haven't tried Pb-free with this metallization yet, so I don't know how
big the profile "window" is.  The main problem is that with too much
time above liquidus, the Pt/Ag will go into the solder mix.  Don't try
to get a wetting angle significantly better than the minimum acceptable.
 When the termination starts to dissolve into the solder mix, first the
wetting angle will degrade, then tiny "raspberries" will form on the
fillet, with the wetting angle getting even worse, and then the
termination will "de-wet".

I suspect that the blowholes are due to the crevices and porosity of
this finish--the flux gets into those areas and won't come out (until it
explodes!).  These same features make them the ONLY parts where I have
had reliable successes with conductive epoxy attach on FR-4 boards.  So
I actually sometimes seek this finish out.

I don't know if you've tried SSD (Solid Solder Deposition) for this
app, but it would certainly help.  The one I use is called SIPAD.  Such
processes dramatically increase the solder profile "window" and reduce
the required amount of flux.

Wayne Thayer

>>> [log in to unmask] 1/31/2007 6:02:46 am >>>
We always have problems (both at assembly and more import
Peter,

We always have problems (both at assembly and more importantly with
reliability) when we use PtAg or PdPtAg terminated components.  If you
can find another component that isn't terminated with one of these
noble
metal terminations use the alternative.

Regards,
George
George M. Wenger
Andrew Corporation Wireless Network Solutions
Senior Principal FMA / Reliability Engineer
40 Technology Drive, Warren, NJ 07059
(908) 546-4531 [Office]  (732) 309-8964 [Cell]