DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 08:11:04 -0500
Hi James-

Yeah, I have communication issues sometimes. The 'estimate' part of my
post would really be a side effect of a useful formula for productivity
measuring. Or vice-versa. If you show that a board with size/complexity of
XY took you 100 hours last year and 95 hours this year, you've got an
estimating tool and you're showing productivity improvement.

Thanks for the input,
-Chris
(Group W)

James Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
01/24/2007 11:10 PM
Please respond to
"(Designers Council Forum)" <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
James Jackson <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [DC] Productivity Indicators

Chris,

I'm not sure if I can help... you first mention that you are trying to
'measure your productivity'. You then say that you are trying to 'estimate
job'.

If you are interested in PCB Layout estimation - I can help.

I have a program that I wrote that takes into consideration many factors
(some are user-adjustable) for creating a PCB Layout estimate. It uses
just
the Board size (X and Y dimensions), and Number of 'pins' to calculate the
time for a New layout - or a Reworked layout. (I have also discovered that
the 'rework' estimates apply to reverse-engineering PCBs.)

The program is called PCB2Est (http://joj.home.texas.net/53000.html). It
is
not free, but the cost is minimal, and the program will pay for itself the
first few times it is used.

I have found its' estimates to be fairly accurate - and have also compared
my estimates with other designers' estimates - and it comes real close to
what they come up with.

Here is link to the documentation for this program...
http://joj.home.texas.net/pcb2est.pdf

If you are interested - feel free to contact me.

Regards,

James Jackson, C.I.D.
Oztronics