DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:23:45 -0600
interesting question...

We use breakaway rails on our rigid-fex, with perforated tabs.

The funny part is we never let our assy vendor USE the perforations
to "snap" off a rail, they are explicitly instructed to use a router,
or in rare cases (like a prototype run) they have a little hand-
held nipper to depanel. I suppose we only have them in case WE
want to depanel one in the lab or something.
You said this piece would not be used in production, but it is
still quite easy to bend/crack components or tear flex, so they
better know what they are doing. Also, you might want to put
some fake copper along the edges of the flex to keep a tear
from starting. Once it starts, it doesn't stop....

p.s. We use Regal-Flex/HVRflex so we don't have flex material
in the rigid portions of the design, but I would bet if you use the
perforations you can break it with no trouble.

good luck,
Jack
.