DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Robert Vanech <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Vanech <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 10:00:24 -0500
  Hi All..

  I may be naive, but over time I had two controlling factors which
  guided out pwb's fabrication. The first is your drawing which dictates
  the pwb's "end product requirements". The second, which has been
  previously mentioned, COMMUNICATION, COMMUNICATION and
  COMMUNICATION with your supplier(s).  On off-loaded designs, I
  required that the design service bureau, the board fabricator and the
  assembler were familiar with each others processes. This could/would
  eliminate CAM GUY"S creative juices from flowing to make HIS pretty
  pictures.

  As long as the supplier meet all end product requirement, they would be
  giving some latitude to work the data base.  At the start of a run, we would
  meet with the supplier, if required, and they would propose their "fabrication
  data modifications". With  our concurrence, we would then inform the other
  members of the "team" to review the impact on their cycle, as required, and
  then proceed to board fab.

  Our products were Mil-Spec designs and/or high end state-of-the-art designs
  and our notes tended to be dynamic. If anyone in the design/fab/assemble/test
  cycle offered suggestions to improve the cycle, and therefore the product, it would
  be discussed and implemented, if worthy.

  So, in ending (as cheers start ringing out- hee, hee ,hee), a drawing with end product
  requirements and a large dose of communication with ALL those disciplines in the
  product cycle to ensure that finished product equals what the customer required.
  My Dime's worth.......

  Bob Vanech
  BVAN Enterprise