DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2007 15:08:19 EST
Hey New Guy,
First add the note to his and your drawings that states:

ARTWORK MAY NOT BE MODIFIED EXCEPT FOR PROCESS CONTROL.

This allows your supplier to do what is needed but will give you a path for
resolution if the "CAM Guy" goes wild.

You should tell anyone who has their designs destroyed by the Fabricator,
that they should find or "train" better Fabricators. As difficult as that  is at
times, we need to make sure we are communicating the importance of  critical
design issues, the "CAM Guy" was probably trying to help and hasn't  learned
about the critical higher speed issues we experience today.

As far as the existing assemblies, (sorry about this) eat them and consider
it a lesson learned. It doesn't seem there was any thing in  place not
allowing mods, so there probably is no recourse over  the mods made except no longer
doing business.

Remember if you don't want it you have to say so and if you do want it you
have to say so or you get what you get and have to live with it.

Asia manufacturing can be very good, but commonly needs some additional
training in your specific needs due to the fact it can be new to them (they've
been doing low layer, cheap and motherboards for years) as they delve deeper
into the higher technologies.

Hope it helps (though I know it probably doesn't)
Good Luck,
FNK

Frank N Kimmey CID+