TECHNET Archives

December 2006

From:
John Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2006 10:20:05 -0800
Hello

I was wondering if some manufacurers could comment on the following.

I have been using a footprint calculator and it recently added a new
feature.

The calculator asks for the height of the component body from the board.

If the height is less then 6 mils then it will not allow the pads to go
under the
body of the IC. This makes sense to me as then when the paste is deposited
the body of the IC is not setting in the solder paste. In the old calculator
and quite frankly in almost every decal tool or baseline I have seen the
pads
run up under the body of the IC. I think most board deigners tend to make
the paste layer identical to the surface mount pad.

I have not personally had problems with this. But I don't assembly circuit
cards for a living.
I am building a lot of new decals and am running with this new thought
because
it makes sense from a common sense standpoint. However I worry about heel
fillets.

DOES IT REALLY MATTER.

Any input will be appreciated
Thanks