TECHNET Archives

December 2006

From:
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 09:17:04 -0600
You and I tend to think alike, Graham!

-----Original Message-----
From: TechNet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Graham Naisbitt
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 9:01 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] conformal coatings as water proofing

To all folks out there who think of a coating as a barrier (i.e.
something that prevents) especially against water:

Conformal Coatings are not water proof.

In fact I know of nothing that is truly water-proof, even glass.
Water is a really nasty substance, given enough time it will go through
everything, it can even kill you.

Conformal coatings are a "thin, plastic protective film that conforms to
the varied profile of an electronic circuit assembly". They help reduce
the effect of moisture and condensation (and other surface
contaminants) and will, for a relatively short time, help stop running
water from affecting electronic circuit perfomance. Of course they
should have minimal effects on the electronic circuit operating beneath
them.

BTW, the running water needs to be pretty pure, please don't take a
coated circuit and drop it into a bucket of tap water and expect it to
work, it probably won't. Use de-ionised water and it should be OK for a
time.

Like you and me they breathe. In so doing they permit air, that may
contain moisture, to migrate in and out of the film. If there are
nasties like ionics present beneath them, then they (the coatings) can
cause more problems than they solve. The ionics, usually salts, behave
like magnets and swell as they take up moisture and in worst case, then
bridge between adjacent conductors and your circuit ain't like it used
to be! So clean them off first or make sure that whatever residues are
present, will behave themselves in company.

I must be among very few in this industry where my customer only used my
product under extreme duress. It must be so nice to feel wanted....

Kindest regards,

Graham