TECHNET Archives

December 2006

From:
Graham Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 10:12:21 -0500
Hi TechNet
An ESD question.

Our standard practice is that all electronic modules have ESD safe
connector caps installed on the external connectors of the module, to
protect the unit in transit.  The logic being that the connector
connects to the CCA within, and so it has to be protected...

We have a customer questioning this - asking "why do I have to pay for
this if I don't tell you to do it".  A quick review of the applicable
documents hasn't turned up a formal requirement to do this, but maybe
one of the TechNet experts can point me in the right direction.

Is this a formal requirement, and if so where?  Note, this is on
military product, IPC class 3.

Thanks!

regards,

Graham Collins
Process Engineer,
L-3 Communications Electronic Systems Inc.
Halifax
(902) 873-2000 ext 6215