TECHNET Archives

December 2006

From:
"Creswick, Steven" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Creswick, Steven
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2006 06:24:30 -0500
Scott,

I tend to agree with you [having ASM's and F&K's], but I am thinking of our automatics, etc.  Might you be as well?

Definitely each [automatic] machine brand has its own particular strengths and weaknesses, but much is determined by the requirements of the application.

I had always received good support from F&K, however.  And that is what 'after the sale' is all about.

Syed, do a good job of knowing what it is that you require.  Accuracy, repeatability, rate, etc.  For high accuracy, one sacrifices speed.  For a manual operation this should not be an issue.  Generic [automatic] die bonders will have accuracies of ~ +/- 0.001"

I would also add Semiconductor Equipment Corp {SEC - Moorpark, CA} to your list of manual bonders as well as Westbond, also in CA.  I don't have links at my fingertips but can provide a link or names if you have a problem finding them.  Sometimes their Mfrs reps know of good used equipment which can be re-furbished at the factory for a reasonable fee.

SEC used to have a Model 410 flip chip bonder that I was able to get accuracies of ~+/- 5µm at room temp and ~+/-12-15µm at 200°C.  Maybe this is more of what you are looking for.

Sometimes a wise shopper can find a good deal on used equipment at Bid Service, etc. - but that is more buyer-beware.  I recommend that you know how it is supposed to work and what it can do before going the used equipment route without involving the manufacturer.

Steve