TECHNET Archives

December 2006

From:
Joe Russeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Joe Russeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2006 15:58:10 -0500
 Hi Kevin,

Sorry for my delayed response, I have not been following TechNet for a
couple of days.  I will try to answer concisely.  First of all, Kenny is
concerned that the no clean flux used by his component manufacturer inflates
the ROSE test results for his assemblies.  His concern is valid.  Any easily
soluble ionic residues left by the boards, fluxes, components, etc can
 inflate the resulting residue picture for a finished assembly in any
cleanliness test. The trick is knowing what residues are related to what
materials so that you can make distinctions between those materials.  ROSE
does not have the capacity to distinguish the different ionic species. So it
is impossible to determine what residues are contributed by what material.
This is one big reason that I don't like ROSE testing.  It is simply not a
good tool for assessing cleanliness.  As a process control tool it's okay,
 provided it has been verified by another more accurate method, such as IC.

As for precleaning components, that may or may not be advantageous. It
depends on the residue and how easily removed it is.  In Kenny's case his
vendor is using a no clean flux. Most no cleans are designed to be left
alone and cleaning them can sometimes cause more issues than if you had just
 left them be.  He would need to talk with his component vendor to determine
what flux is being used and find out from the flux vendor if it can be
effectively removed.

As a game plan, I would:

1) Find out all the info I could about the flux used by the component
vendor.
 2) Check with the flux vendor to determine if it could be removed and with
 what.
 3) Clean some of the components prior to assembly.
 4) Test via IC, the starting and post-cleaning cleanliness of the
components
to verify that cleaning was beneficial.
5) Process some assemblies with the cleaned components and check using ROSE.
 I would also check a few assemblies via IC to verify the ROSE results.

 Just a few quick thoughts.

 Best Regards,

Joe Russeau
 Process Analyst