TECHNET Archives

December 2006

From:
Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 21:41:01 -0800
While visiting a certain assembly house, I came across a hotbar soldering process which left me with doubt as to the process controls in place.

  I also have some basic questions about best practices when hotbar soldering.

  In this situation, the items being soldered together are a PCB with solderpaste reflowed already onto the pads, and a small flex circuit which has metal pads on both sides of it along with a plated through hole right in the middle of the pad.

  The process uses a semi-automatic system which has a turntable, affording continuous production.

  I could go into detail as to the specifics, but I wanted to first ask in general terms, what the rest of all of you have done with this type of process.  It is basically a simple soldering process, without the fancier anisotropic variations involved.

  Flatness of the soldering head to the board is one of the major concerns, but the amount of solderpaste deposited on the pad is also another item that appears critical.

  All comments are welcome.