TECHNET Archives

December 2006

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:10:43 -0800
Just testing, that link was about the China/EU conference on Rohs, so now I
don't have to send another email..

Here is the version with EU site link for exemption request 15 support

It's Friday - at last......

 Just wanted to say thank you for all of the support received this week.

 Last Friday there were no support letters for exemption request #15 on the
use of lead in solders exemption.

 As this email goes out a week later there are 187 support letters on the EU
web site
http://forum.europa.eu.int/Public/irc/env/rohs_6/search?w=data_frame
<http://forum.europa.eu.int/Public/irc/env/rohs_6/search?w=data_frame&langua
ge=ALL&inline=1&term=rohsusa> &language=ALL&inline=1&term=rohsusa

 and the support is coming from a very heavy weight line up of individuals
and companies.

 I also received a tonne (..note metric!!...) of data on the use of lead in
electronics and got the requested data back to the Oko Institute in the time
frames required.

 Thanks to one and all for the fantastic support, keep spreading the word,
and let's see what happens.

 And just to clarify a point here. The activity that I am engaged in -
trying to get an exemption for lead in solders is coming from a genuine
concern for the environment coupled with a second genuine concern for
needlessly making electronics less reliable (and yes I believe I am
justified in making that comment since IPC and JEDEC have now launched a
conference program to address just that issue)

 For the record I believe that the INTENT of initiatives such as RoHS, EuP
and REACH are excellent, and congratulate the team at the EU Environment
Directive for their magnificent efforts in co-coordinating these
initiatives. In every dealing with them that I have had they have been very
civil and prompt in their actions and replies.

 What I continue to have an issue with is the manner in which the decisions
are taken, and I use the lead in solders ban as a prime example. The only
way that counter intuitive environmentally damaging legislation can be
avoided is to thoroughly research the issues.

 And I do mean thoroughly. Let's face it the industry has been preparing for
lead free soldering for around 7 years. Shouldn't the EU have been looking
into and fine tuning the legislation "on the fly" as due diligence? You
would think in 7+ years that someone would be employed in the Directive to
do due diligence by desk research and be advising accordingly? Maybe they
don't advertise those jobs because people like me might apply??.....8-)

 Quite honestly if the electronics industry worked the same way as that
process we would still be communicating by carrier pigeon.

 Anyway, thanks to one and all. I can honestly say that I could not do this
without you all.

 Kind regards,

John Burke

(408) 515 4992

__._,_.___

Messages
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RoHSUSAPushback/message/100;_ylc=X3oDMTMzM3Zy
YjNlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3OTA4MjczBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NDE3NwRtc2dJZAMx
MDAEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMTY2MjA4OTg3BHRwY0lkAzEwMA-->  in this
topic (1)
TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3OTA4MjczBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NDE3NwRtc2dJZAMxMDAEc2V
jA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMTY2MjA4OTg3?act=reply&messageNum=100> Reply
(via web post) | Start
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RoHSUSAPushback/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmOXIycXZxBF9
TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3OTA4MjczBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NDE3NwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN
udHBjBHN0aW1lAzExNjYyMDg5ODc->  a new topic

Messages
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RoHSUSAPushback/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdDNuajd
2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3OTA4MjczBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NDE3NwRzZWMDZnRyBHN
sawNtc2dzBHN0aW1lAzExNjYyMDg5ODc->  | Links
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RoHSUSAPushback/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJncmFqYTRlBF
9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3OTA4MjczBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NDE3NwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsaw
NsaW5rcwRzdGltZQMxMTY2MjA4OTg3>

TA4MjczBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NDE3NwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTE2NjIwODk4O
A--> Yahoo! Groups
Change
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RoHSUSAPushback/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJnY3Yyb3VpBF9
TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzE3OTA4MjczBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NDE3NwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN
zdG5ncwRzdGltZQMxMTY2MjA4OTg4>  settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch
<mailto:[log in to unmask]:%20D
igest>  delivery to Daily Digest | Switch
<mailto:[log in to unmask]
y%20Format:%20Traditional>  format to Traditional
Visit
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RoHSUSAPushback;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNnNpYTltBF9TAzk3
NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzE3OTA4MjczBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NDE3NwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocGYE
c3RpbWUDMTE2NjIwODk4OA-->  Your Group | Yahoo! Groups
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Terms of Use | Unsubscribe
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Recent Activity

*                                3

New
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RoHSUSAPushback/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJnbXN0NnA2
BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3OTA4MjczBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NDE3NwRzZWMDdnRsBHNs
awN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMTY2MjA4OTg3>  Members

Visit
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RoHSUSAPushback;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdWFhYzJpBF9TAzk3
MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3OTA4MjczBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NDE3NwRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hw
BHN0aW1lAzExNjYyMDg5ODc->  Your Group

*       Pushback
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkY3VoZHFiBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzEEZ
3JwSWQDMTc5MDgyNzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY0MTc3BHNlYwNzbG1vZARzdGltZQMxMTY2MjA4O
Tg4?t=ms&k=Pushback+rack&w1=Pushback+rack&w2=Environment&w3=Pushback&w4=Comi
c+back+issue&c=4&s=72&g=2&.sig=mnm4y9zlvBy0YugMiCkDoA>  rack
*       Environment
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkNTgwZjBqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzIEZ
3JwSWQDMTc5MDgyNzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY0MTc3BHNlYwNzbG1vZARzdGltZQMxMTY2MjA4O
Tg4?t=ms&k=Environment&w1=Pushback+rack&w2=Environment&w3=Pushback&w4=Comic+
back+issue&c=4&s=72&g=2&.sig=XutHEhv220WM1xVFq4n22g>
*       Pushback
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkMzJrZnNnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzMEZ
3JwSWQDMTc5MDgyNzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY0MTc3BHNlYwNzbG1vZARzdGltZQMxMTY2MjA4O
Tg4?t=ms&k=Pushback&w1=Pushback+rack&w2=Environment&w3=Pushback&w4=Comic+bac
k+issue&c=4&s=72&g=2&.sig=fWo8I3UQjWvy8agZjpPVbQ>
*       Comic
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkMDFvZm44BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzQEZ
3JwSWQDMTc5MDgyNzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY0MTc3BHNlYwNzbG1vZARzdGltZQMxMTY2MjA4O
Tg4?t=ms&k=Comic+back+issue&w1=Pushback+rack&w2=Environment&w3=Pushback&w4=C
omic+back+issue&c=4&s=72&g=2&.sig=mnlt6SAmhIA9isT9MfH_Ow>  back issue

Give Back

Yahoo!
<http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJudHRwM2dmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzEEZ3JwSW
QDMTc5MDgyNzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY0MTc3BHNlYwNuY21vZARzbGsDYnJhbmQEc3RpbWUDMT
E2NjIwODk4Nw--;_ylg=1/SIG=11314uv3k/**http%3a/brand.yahoo.com/forgood>  for
Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get
<http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJwbjY5ZHA5BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzIEZ3JwSW
QDMTc5MDgyNzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY0MTc3BHNlYwNuY21vZARzbGsDdG9vbGJhcgRzdGltZQ
MxMTY2MjA4OTg3;_ylg=1/SIG=11c6dvmk9/**http%3a/toolbar.yahoo.com/%3f.cpdl=ygr
ps>  it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start
<http://groups.yahoo.com/start;_ylc=X3oDMTJwMnJjamE4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzME
Z3JwSWQDMTc5MDgyNzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY0MTc3BHNlYwNuY21vZARzbGsDZ3JvdXBzMgRz
dGltZQMxMTY2MjA4OTg3>  a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=17908273/grpspId=1705064177/msgI
d=100/stime=1166208987/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>