TECHNET Archives

December 2006

From:
Robert Lazzara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 16:54:40 EST

In a message dated 12/14/2006 4:24:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Further  still, how does one panel get screwed-up like this and not  the
others?

____________________________________

Hi Steve:

That's an interesting picture. I decided it might be best to look at the
photo from the perspective of a client asking me to deliberately create  that
particular effect (and with a gun pressed firmly to my head).

For me, it keeps coming back to drill. I could create something like that
through controlled depth drilling. And it can also be done accidentally. Here's
1-way how:

Most low(er) tech PCB designs permit stacked mechanical drilling. Typically
on .062" material a Fabricator can drill 3-high (.062" x 3) with reasonable
results. However, if the drill bit were to slip in the collet it's possible the
 drill might not penetrate through all three stacked PCBs. If it went through
the  first two PCBs but only partially through the bottom PCB, the effect
would be a  partially drilled exit aperture with a pronounce lip.

This theory also offers an answer to your question, "...how does  one panel
get screwed-up like this and not the others? By only affecting the  bottom
panel, most of the product continues unaffected. As for it being only  1-panel
(so-far) it's possible that the Fabricator actually caught the  error and
reworked all but 1 panel (the notorious "escapee").

It's required to note that E/T wouldn't catch this as the  PTH is likely
fully functional electrically.

It may also be interesting to note that while most drill machines have
devices or sensors for detecting broken or missing drill bits, not all have the
ability to critically monitor drill bit length.

While I may be way-out with my suggestion, I'll hang onto it  until a few
more pictures show different angles (or folks more sane and  experienced have
time to respond).

Until then -

Bob

ROBERT LAZZARA
VP, Business Development
T: (800) 560-9457
F:  (800) 878-5566 (y servicio de mensaje espaņol)
E:  [log in to unmask]
W:_  www.CircuitConnectUSA.com_ (http://www.circuitconnectusa.com/)