TECHNET Archives

December 2006

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:23:31 -0800
Hi Bill, I can answer to the exemption request - that was me.

Anyone can apply for an exemption at the EU. I applied for one on
environmental grounds on behalf of the electronics industry and circulated a
support letter to the industry which they could cut and paste to make
supporting the exemption request easier.

The reason I did this is that the EU system is not that clear on how to
apply - - since I know how - I did.

The EU system of public sector exemption discussion is also not widely
publicized or understood and it is not that clear how to support a request,
so I made it easy.

The law is the law and as such must be obeyed, my hope is that through
highlighting the environmental aspects with solid data such as the EPA
report and the University of Stuttgart report that lead in solders will be
recognized for what it is - a non issue - and that the EU will respond to
these inputs accordingly.

John Burke

(408) 515 4992