TECHNET Archives

December 2006

From:
Kerry McMullen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:56:03 -0500
Thanks Wayne,
I juist shot my boss an e-mail saying I would not use this until I
performed some accelerated testing.

Thank you for the input.

 Kerry McMullen
Principal New Product Mfg. Engineer
LTX Corporation
825 University Avenue
Norwood, MA 02062-2643
(T) 781-467-5468
(C) 508-631-1832
(F) 781-461-0993

Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
12/11/2006 02:46 PM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] 58Bi/42Sn

Kerry-

Make sure you do elevated temperature accelerated aging of samples of
assemblies made with this alloy.  I have had a few occasions where very
pretty "flowers" formed on points of devices in the vicinity of this
alloy.  These are much bigger than whiskers, and may have to do with
small amounts of Pb getting into the system--however, I made every
attempt to keep the amount of Pb well below where I would normally
expect problems to develop.

Wayne

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/11/2006 10:01:06 am >>>
Hello esteemed Technet,
      I am looking comments on what you would consider the advantages
and
disadvantages of this composition of this solder paste. (58Bi/42Sn)
Lower MP.  138 Degrees C.
Lower fatigue resistance
Wetting to ImAg??
Wetting to ImNiAu??
No Clean?  Residue?
Intermetallic Formation?
Mixing with 63/37Sn?
Our application is an RF board where we would use this paste post Wave
/
Hand Solder.
Any comments appreciated.

Cheers,