LEADFREE Archives

December 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Timothy McGrady <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 23:07:43 -0500
Gordon:

I appreciate your arguments and find them logically sound.  Holding back
contempt is not easy in this case.

First, I should tell you that when I wrote about the EU and its advisors not
being equipped to properly make the decisions they have been making, I was
referring to their so-called "experts" and technical advisors as well as the
drafters of the legislation.  I read the initial report done by ERA
Technology on existing standards and their applicability to RoHS
enforcement, and even though I like Dr. Paul Goodman and think he's a fairly
reasonably person, he casually (and wrongly) dismissed ISO 3613 as a
potential measurement technique for hexavalent chromium in chromate
conversion coatings simply because he didn't think it was relevant - he did
not have enough experience with industry and its practices to ignore that
standard.  Furthemore, when Sophia Lau of IBM and I made our case at NIST in
October 2005 concerning hexavalent chromium measurement techniques and the
improper use of units of weight percent, the EU IRMM representative replied
"We didn't know".  I tried educating EU officials and advisors about the
units and measurement problem from approximately July 2003 through the
present; some of the officials et. al. I contacted were Dr. Paul Goodman,
Steve Andrews of DTI and the EU TAC, Denis Pohl (Belgium) of the EU TAC, and
Anna Passera, Marianne Klingbeil, Stavros Dimas and Margot Wallstrom (now
Vice President of the EU Commission, but formerly EU Commissioner for
Environment). I brought the issue to the attention of numerous US government
officials and employees and of those, only the NIST personnel really
understood the problem.  The point is that the EU is legislating global
change in materials use affecting most supply chains, and THEY KNOW THEY ARE
HAVING A GLOBAL IMPACT.  The fact that they did not understand the technical
issues surrounding hexavalent chromium measurement in chromate conversion
coatings means that they are not properly equipped to be making these types
of decisions, particularly when those decisions impact manufacturing
EVERYWHERE.  I have suggested that the EU is leveraging access to their
market in order to foist their environmental agenda on the entire globe.  I
do not think it is appropriate to allow them to continue in this manner - if
we are all impacted, we must all have a say.

Nancy Nord, now Chairman of the Consumer Products Safety Commission,
explained the difference between the US and EU philosophies on hazardous
substances at a conference I attended in NYC.  She said that while the US
uses a "risk-based" approach to manage hazardous substances, the EU uses a
"hazard-based" approach.  Simply put, the US seeks to mitigate hazards
through setting threshold exposure limits and use of personal protective
equipment, the EU philospohy is to remove potential hazards such that no
exposure may occur.  This fits nicely into what you said about the
environmental activist wanting to rid the biosphere of toxic substances.  At
another technical conference (an ASM conference I believe) I was a speaker
on RoHS issues, but I was put into a room full of California environment
"gurus" from the EU and U Cal Davis and U Cal Berkeley.  I call California
"Europe, USA" because of its propensity to adopt EU environmental
principles.  This group was quite pro-EU RoHS and ELV and Packaging and etc
(I am pro-environment and pro-human health, but what good ideas the EU has
had have been in my opinion poorly implemented and poorly considered).  One
gentleman - I believe he was a UC Davis student, probably working on his
Master's or PhD - actually stated that they should consider a ban on copper!
I couldn't contain myself, so I asked what gave him that idea - did he read
an MSDS on copper?  He said that why yes, he had, and it is a very toxic
substance and it should not be allowed in landfills.  I said that the
hazards with regard to copper, as with every substance, are circumstantial -
hazards must be considered in context with potential for exposure or harm,
not in a vacuum based solely on the relative toxicity.  In fact, I stated,
EVERYTHING is hazardous given a certain concentration or mode of exposure.
(Go ahead, name anything you want, and I can come up with a way it can kill
a person).  They ended the session on that note.  Again, this is consistent
with what you said in your message - I'm just elaborating here for those who
care.

At any rate - good job John and Gordon.  I will send in my letter of support
soon.

My Best,

Tim McGrady