LEADFREE Archives

December 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Timothy McGrady <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2006 17:05:07 -0500
I just added my support for exemption #18 on hexavalent chromium conversion
coatings.  The Oko Institute will have to at least look at the fact that
both the IEC and their enforcement authorities have not been able to come up
with a measurement method for hexavalent chromium in conversion coatings in
units of weight percent.  But as I understand it, the new Euronorm written
by DIN will outline a test for which results will be reported in mass per
area, not weight percent.  Also, I challenged them to provide evidence that
replacement products work as well as or better than hexavalent chomium in
all applications, particularly where bare metal is exposed to the
environment (air, soil and water). The burden of proof for those claiming
that replacements work as well as hexavalent chromium must be high,
considering that the consequences of field failures on safety-related
equipment may result in loss of power, loss of control, shorts, electric
shock and damage to the environment, health and property.  There is also the
potential for early failure of consumer goods, meaning that more products
will enter the wastestream earlier than they normally would.