LEADFREE Archives

December 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Mike Kirschner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:11:27 -0600
Tim,

First, what I hear from this side of the pond is that since the regulated
are in the EU, it can make sense for the supply base to migrate there
because they will KNOW that they are being regulated and will provide the
requisite information up/down the supply chain (as is required by REACH).
This may have the effect of companies replacing non-EU suppliers with EU
suppliers if/when they have trouble getting the required information. We did
see this with RoHS so there is precedence. Of course, there is nothing
preventing US- or China-based companies from providing the required
information when/if necessary...but they are under no legal obligation to do
so while EU-based companies are.

Second, and more from the EU government side, I hear that REACH could drive
innovation of replacement substances that can compete with current
substances and are less toxic (which, of course, is what they are hoping
for). The regulated companies in the EU will have such incentives due to the
costs of going through the registration/evaluation/authorization process
with current chemicals - new replacements may be less expensive.

Note that I am the messenger here; these are not original thoughts of mine.

The point was made that suppliers may just up and leave the EU due to REACH;
it could happen but that's probably a short-term win only. I have said it
before - these regulations get adopted in other locales, as we have seen
with RoHS. So you can only run for so long.

Mike