LEADFREE Archives

December 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 12:45:32 +0200
Gordon

For once, I think we're ± on the same wavelength.

Let me quote two examples of widely used solvents in industry (including
ours):

1. Trichloroethylene: this has been widely discredited because of a
pretended carcinogenicity which has been taken into national labelling
and exposure limit rules. Yet the most serious report (77 A4 pages of
very critical analysis) states: "Taking all of this information into
account, it is concluded that exposure to TCE does not present a
carcinogenic hazard to man at levels of current occupational exposure
standards." (see the incomplete page at
http://www.cypenv.org/worldenv/files/chlorsolv.htm)

2. n-propyl bromide or 1-bromopropane: this solvent can be purchased and
used with almost no restrictions in most places, yet there are good
reasons to believe that it can reduce male and female fertility and
cause permanent neuropathic damage. No official permitted exposure level
has been promulgated, only a number of recommendations, varying from 1
ppm to 100 ppm (the latter by some manufacturers!). It is potentially
very dangerous and is used quite a bit for defluxing. No long-term
toxicology tests have been conducted and there is little reliable
epidemiological evidence. It is known that the semi-chronic tests
conducted on rodents cannot be translated to humans, as the metabolic
processes are very different in the two species. IOW, thousands of
workers in industry are being exposed daily to what may be a time bomb.
Yet this solvent is being heavily promoted also as a substitute for
trichloroethylene, for which we have certain and sure data from over a
century of industrial use.

In view of this, something like REACH may help, but I'm pretty sure that
trichloroethylene will still be classed either as a carcinogen or, at
least, either a potential carcinogen for man or a known carcinogen for
rodents (true), implying it is for man (untrue). I'm equally sure that
nPB will not be any more restricted than it is now, because we have no
valid data on which to base a judgement. REACH is therefore an attempt
to cut water with a sword.

OTOH, I would welcome something similar to REACH on condition that:
- each chemical be critically judged on reliable scientific data,
capable of peer review and not on emotional ecopolitical NGO (or other)
claptrap
- it be applied rigidly on a world-wide basis through UNEP and the WHO
- any person knowingly providing false data or incorrectly labelling a
product be deemed as committing a felony
- any chemicals or products made from them or using them from nations
not conforming to the provisions of the international law be banned from
import into other countries.

What a pipedream!!!

Brian