TECHNET Archives

November 2006

From:
Kevin Glidden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:48:05 -0500
OK, for ANYONE operating in the hi-rel industry, it is widely known and
accepted that assemblies may be reworked without customer approval, but all
repairs require customer approval. Some customers / programs do not even
grant any MRB authority to the vendor.  Now, my company is an OEM.  We are
not a contract MFR.  However, we had a case of a PCB with a via that was
non-functional.  A tech wanted to just install a short jumper through the
via to re-establish the connection.  Myself and another tech argued this was
a REPAIR and as such required customer approval.  The tech in favor of the
jumper argues that jumpers are covered by 610, and therefore allowed.  My
rebuttal to this was jumpers are covered not as an implication they are ok
in a repair situation, but to give guidance as to how they should be made if
part of original design intent or part of an authorized repair.   He is now
vehemently arguing that unless I can show him where in any IPC standard it
says repair requires customer approval, then I am wrong.  Alas, I cannot
find it.  Does such a statement exist?  My suspicion is that the answer lies
in the contract paperwork for the part, not an IPC document, but if anyone
knows it does exist, and can point me to it, I would be MOST appreciative..
Kevin Glidden