TECHNET Archives

November 2006

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:53:55 EST
In a message dated 11/17/2006 11:02:43 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

So, what  do they mean by "HDI"?  Reading the document, in boils down to
the  thinner surface layers, equal to or less than .006" thick, used  in
conjunction with microvias, "these vias are the central characteristic  of
HDI".

Valerie -

In the late 90's IPC committees worked up three standards to 'bolt onto"  the
rigid board standards - one for HDI (microvia) materials, one for boards
made principally with a multilayer core and microvias on the outer layers, and
one for microvia board design.  The standards pertain only to the added  layers
to the core controlled by the rigid board spec.

Characteristic microvia layers then were 3-4 mils thick, non-reinforced
material like RCC or photosensitive epoxy.  So, thickness and "surface"  were
defining features. .

I raised the question on TechNet about 2 months ago - was anybody using IPC
6106 for microvia boards, 4104 for microvia materials, and 2227 (from memory)
for microvia design.  The result was a resounding "no", from what I could
tell. People specify and quality check to the interpreted rigid board documents,
 and extend that to microvia boards.

Well, I have a committee plaque to show that I (and many others) worked on
the standards.

Denny Fritz
MacDermid, Inc.