TECHNET Archives

November 2006

From:
bob wettermann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, bob wettermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:10:58 -0800
This question to the group is about expected solder joint strength on a BGA.

  The BGA in question is a 8 x 8mm plastic package  BGA using a LF  SAC305 soldering process. It has 64  x 0.018" balls holding it to  the PCB.

  When removing this device for rework 3-4% of the time one of the corner NO CONNECT pads comes off.

  The question is if we do nothing upon replacement of  a new device  to the damaged pad will it really make a difference ??? We are arguing  that the holding strength of the reworked device would be approximately  the same because the change in overall surface area is marginally  impacted.

  Thanks

  Bob Wettermann

Bob Wettermann