TECHNET Archives

November 2006

From:
Joyce Koo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:37:04 -0500
Valerie,
the TMA is much sensitive method to detect the Tg.  The DSC normally detect
heat release upon phase transformation, it is normally +5C above the TMA
detected Tg.  The insufficent cure at small degree will not be easily
detected by DSC for solid cured samples(depend upon the scan rate as well...
many expert can write about this more), but much easy to be detected by TMA
(CTE change... if your sample prep and equipment are good and vibration
free).  Just my 2 cents... (of course, the new equipment of DSC possibly can
detect smallest change... so don't kill me ... DSC expert).  It all depends
what you have in house.
Best regards,
                    jk

abcd