TECHNET Archives

November 2006

From:
"P. Langeveld" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, P. Langeveld
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 17:51:58 +0100
Ioan,

You asked:
' Then, I would like to know more about the case of high temp solder
balls. Why a joint will be formed around 210C between SnPb paste and
90/10 balls and the solder would not wet at 246C on a 270C solder
ball?'

It is a matter of total mass too.
When a solder with certain composition has to make a joint on solder
with another composition, there is no speak of wetting but, of
dissolution of one alloy in the other.
The answer on your question is, that the final composition of the
solder alloy that then will be formed must have a melting range where
the solidus is lower than the process temperature.  In case of SnPb40
and SnPb10, the final composition of the joint would be around SnPb25
tha has a solidus of about 200dC.

In the case of SAC308 solder and SnCu1.75 ball, the resulting alloy
will still have a solidus above 246dC.

Peer