TECHNET Archives

November 2006

From:
Eric CHRISTISON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Eric CHRISTISON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:46:45 +0000
Richard,

Many mobile phone manufacturers have been lead free for some time now,
I'm talking years in the case of one very large manufacturer. I'm sure
there will be problems but for consumer products at least, I don't
expect them to create an electronic Armageddon. There are several
hundred million lead free PCB's out there, being used all over the world
with few reliability issues.

Tell me, I'm too young to know, were there similar cries of doom and
gloom when IBM started forcing the electronics industry over to SMD
technology in the 80'S?

Regards,