TECHNET Archives

November 2006

From:
Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 19:40:34 EST
In a message dated 11/7/06 16:30:23, [log in to unmask] writes:

> Does the length of time that the joint is held at solder flow/reflow
> temperature allow for more of the gold to go into solution with the solder?
> A: No, the only metal dissolving in solder faster than Au is Sn—or solder
itself. Thus, all the Au contacted by the liquid solder is dissolved essentially
before there is a metallurgical bond to the Cu.

> Does the amount of solder that is added to the solder joint allow for more
> of the gold to go into solution with the solder?
> A: In special circumstances, i.e., thick Au and a very thin solder gap, you
can run out of Sn to dissolve all of the Au; but that is not the case in normal
circumstances.

> What does gold embrittlement look like, or does it even happen, and if so to
> what extent, with the new solders that are being used as we go 'lead free'?
> A: Au-embrittlement looks like the last 3 pics of Ingemar's 6 pictures—but it
is clearly the worst
I have seen. I have seen similar devices from assemblies from China that also
had a lot of Au [not quite as much] and that got hot enough for the solder on
one side to actually melt. Now, I had always assumed that Inge etched the
remaining solder in the last picture [all those platelettes are AuSn4 IMC, and I
have seen this pic before], but it is actually an enlargement of the left
side-fillet. No idea how it got to look like this, but it sure is ugly [from
Inge's statement, it looks like there was so much Au that it consumed all the Sn in
the Sn-rich phase, but I am guessing].

> Are there any specific 'lead free' solders that are better in avoiding gold
> embrittlement that the others, and why?
> A: Actually, LF solders that are Ag-bearing are worse, because they
potentially add Ag-embrittlement to Au-embrittlement. Ag3Sn-IMC looks essentially the
same as AuSn4-IMC and produces the same weakening of the solder joint structure
due to their geometry and brittleness.

By the way, when Ingemar makes a statement, I absolutely take his word for
it, having known him long enough to KNOW he does not dish out BS [well
Wodka-nights may be an exception].

Werner