LEADFREE Archives

November 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Oliver Betz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 19:14:41 +0100
Hello Richard,

> Sorry, Oliver, but I respectfully disagree with your approach.

no problem since it is not _my_ approach, therefore you don't
disagree with me.

I completely agree with your attitude to tell the customer the facts,
but I wasn't successful in promoting it down to the end customer.

Why?

It would require a good communication along the whole chain, and you
can't get this in many cases.

Think about sales people: they usually take the line of the least
resistance, don't they? I can get _our_ sales people doing the right
thing, but how shall I reach our customer's staff?

Another problem: If some companies management decides some day to go
LF although their products are not in scope of RoHS and makes a
generalized public statement about this, reverting this decision
would be painful for several people.

Guess what happens if I tell them later about the disadvantages of LF
soldering.

It's not so simple in many cases.

> Whenever you are afraid to tell your customer something, you have
> already done them a disservice.

I'm not afraid.

> Who better to be the "third-party press" than you or I? John Burke
> certainly is a good example of this.

The end user still doesn't know about the problems.

How many articles were published for example in journals for
industrial equipment ("fixed installations")?

The problem is discussed sometimes in electronics design and
manufacturing journals, but the buyer of industrial equipment doesn't
read it.

Oliver

P.S.: my comparison with diesel particulate filters was
inappropriate. Although I really don't know whether the are useful,
they don't have similar disadvantages as LF soldering.
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen