LEADFREE Archives

November 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 07:21:49 -0600
Sorry, Oliver, but I respectfully disagree with your approach.

Quite often I have customers tell me that they want to use a lead-free
process, for whatever reason. My obligation is to advise them in such a
way as to do no harm. I want to make it clear that I am not against
using Pb-free processes and materials, but if a choice is available, I
need good, compelling reasons to choose Pb-free and its risks over
63/37, and environmental friendliness and ease of recycling do not fall
into that category.

I let them know exactly what the additional known risks are in using
Pb-free. I also tell them that it is his/her choice, but I want them to
make an informed choice. I review the design and the application, and I
make sure I understand the design and use requirements. If the design
and use is appropriate for Pb-free and not exempt per RoHS, then I would
cheerfully use a Pb-free process and the appropriate materials.

But if the product is exempt, I am never afraid to tell my customer "if
you select lead-free for this particular product, here are the known
risks". They always thank me for that. Always. And most of the time they
thinks that Pb-free is the way to go "because it is the new thing".

Then I provide them with what they want.

Whenever you are afraid to tell your customer something, you have
already done them a disservice.

Who better to be the "third-party press" than you or I? John Burke
certainly is a good example of this.

Let me tell you this, I have no customers who do not trust my advice
fully. They know if something is wrong, or not quite right, they can
depend on me to tell them in such a manner that they won't
misunderstand. And they know I do it to protect them from themselves, or
from their own customer's ignorance.

And they know I am a human being, not infallible, and I can make
mistakes. If I have sound logical reasons, I will readily change my
mind. But I will not change my mind simply because some EU weenies with
their heads up where the sun doesn't shine won't admit that they made a
big, big mistake.