LEADFREE Archives

November 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Kane, Joseph E (US SSA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 09:04:38 -0500
Thanks for the response Loa, but again, I don't
see how spacing can vary in the range of 6 to 28 mils
and still ensure that the leads will sit on the lands/pads.

At MMC, with the minimum possible spacing, this
analysis says that we would have a lead that's 12 mils
wide, shifted over to one side by 7 mils.

The maximum lead overhang allowed by J-STD-001 is
25% of the lead width, which in this case would be 3 mils.

If we take the easiest case and assume that the pads
on the board are positioned dead nuts perfect, then the
pads would have to be 20 mils wide to ensure that the maximum
overhang is 3 mils.  And in this case, the electrical clearance
between that lead and the adjacent pad is only 2 mils.  If we
allow for any positional tolerance of the pads, you'd have
to make them even wider, which effectively eats up any
pad-to-pad spacing.

This is where I'm having trouble.  I think my real question
here is whether we can just subtract the true position
tolerance.  The positions of the leads are referenced to
datums, not to each other.

-Joe