TECHNET Archives

October 2006

From:
Martin Tarr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Martin Tarr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 18:02:58 +0100
Hi everyone

Given Dave Seymour's comment in an earlier posting - "I'm not worried, all
the chems involved were RoHS compliant" - and the pictures he linked to,
today might be just the day to ask for some wider thoughts on a similar
theme!

"REACH . . . has been described as "the most important EU legislation for 20
years". And it is coming up fast . . . the Council reached a "Common
Position" on 27 June, and the Directive is predicted to be in place by the
end of 2006, which means it will be in effect within two years." That is how
I started a blog in August (http://www.mtarr.co.uk/blog/?p=22), stimulated
by comments from John Burke, among others.

What I have now been asked to do is present a short paper to an upcoming
local SMART chapter meeting on "Forthcoming EU regulations", where I need to
talk intelligently on subjects such as REACH and EuP. Obviously, I can read
what officialdom says should happen. But then I also know what a mess we are
in with lead-free!

  *     Are these new cans of worms?
  *     Will we be forced to use non-preferred ways of doing things simply
because the materials are old enough to be allowed under the legislation?
  *     Will there be unintended consequences, equivalent to the extra
energy use and other adverse environmental consequences of lead-free
solders?
  *     Will some chemicals simply be withdrawn from the EU market?

I'd welcome your thoughts, either private or public, so have started a wiki
at http://mtarr2006env.pbwiki.com/FrontPage with linked pages on the two
main Directives (REACH http://mtarr2006env.pbwiki.com/REACH  and EuP
http://mtarr2006env.pbwiki.com/EuP). Or you can post contributions on this
thread, or send them direct to me at [log in to unmask]

So do let me know how REACH and EuP will affect you and your company . . .

Thanks for your help.

Martin

*************************

Martin Tarr