TECHNET Archives

October 2006

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2006 10:56:17 -0700
It's very interesting, If I were the chief technologist of a major solder
supplier (which I am not) I would be taking the view that there were
sufficient unknowns on reliability along with sufficient questions
environmentally to take a neutral stance on the issues of lead free.

Were I in that position I would be:

1       Telling the world that my company was at the leading edge of the
technology and had/are undertaking extensive and exhaustive life cycle
reliability testing - on  an initiative which after all is a law imposed on
the industry and there is nothing that anyone right now can do about it.

2       I would be remaining neutral on the environmental issues while
actively encouraging further research on the issue publicly as an
environmentally concerned company - all  with a strictly neutral viewpoint
on the outcome.

3       Actively seeking data from my extensive customer base on reliability
and issues faced on a day to day basis on reliability and process issues.

Why? - because in that position I believe that to represent my
(hypothetical) company correctly I would be somewhat negligent in making
light of real data when after all the change to lead free is a "done deal"
at least for the short term - so what's the point?.

I would also be looking at a future where in 20 20 hindsight in 2 years
time, when the industry might be looking back at a very shaky period on
reliability, I would not want my (non data founded) views coming up on a
search engine when the words Lead free reliability along with my company
name were typed into a search engine........

But that's just me................

John