TECHNET Archives

October 2006

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Hfjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 22:35:03 +0200
Mmmm....diplomacy. I'm too. Too often. Less gastrit and good sleeping.
But...there may come a big but...imagine a very big company. They have
shipped equipments for billion dollars. 500 pcs F-22 for instance. And the
electronics are LF according to the law. And after a year or two, failure
reports begin to drop in. After 5 years hundreds of reports and after 10
years thosands. Let's play with the thought that the reason is leadfree
solder joint problems. The fight begins. Who will pay the bill?  The example
is exaggerated and not so realistic, but you see what I mean with the
responsibility matter. Can you create a contracting with the solder supplier
to protect yourself against such disaster? No. Do the company insurances
cover such things? I doubt. Who to blame? .....no, no, no..be silent now
guys. I see what you would like to say, but I have a diplomatic discussion
with Daniel now.

I agree with you as far as to doing the best we can. Of course. If I go home
in protest, noone bothers. I may, as best,  get some admiring words from
some TNetters.

What is of interest, again: who will pay if you get a real kickback ?  You
say yourself that you got lots of negatives about LF. In my mumbling
opinion, that's a little scaring look in the crystal ball!

I think I've hereby got enough of philosophy thoughts on LF.  Better to
concentrate on practical issues, when they appear.

Thanks for the response!

Inge