LEADFREE Archives

October 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Michael Kirschner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 08:07:07 -0700
Tim,

We are not smoking anything (during working hours).

What you heard last week contradicts the latest published draft of the
marking standard, which has a history of changing with every (unofficial)
release. What MII says and what actually happens are not always the same. So
no, you can not always believe what you hear and depend on it. This is still
a fluid situation - I don't care if you heard it from Huang himself; it's
simply another data point and the fact is that this is not over because the
final standard has not been released...even then I might check twice to make
sure. We have spoken with him and MII on occasion over the past year and AeA
has over the past several. Our experience is similar to AeA's in this
regard. One thing to keep in mind is that MII is not the final arbiter of
the the law's implementation. There are many Chinese government entities
involved in this regulation. So to answer your question, the pipeline we
have is to experience with this...

The only time the EFUP can actually be rationally determined that I can come
up with is when a battery that uses cadmium, mercury, or lead is in the
product. Under what other normal use conditions does lead, cadmium, mercury,
hex chrome, PBBs, or PBDEs "leak or mutate"? Their definition is not
helpful.

We'll see if they tell the same story on the 26th out here.

Mike