LEADFREE Archives

October 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Timothy McGrady <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2006 08:56:36 -0500
Gen:

I agee with Ioan.  XRF mesurements of in situ solders are not easy and not
very accurate, considering that in your case any Pb would probably not be
uniformly distributed.  However, knowing what the European enforcement
bodies are likely to do, if you have the solder tested via XRF and the Pb
concentration is low - not just below 0.1%, but anywhere near 0.1% - they
are unlikely to challenge your claim that the product is compliant.  If they
saw 40% lead with an XRF, they would likely proceed to quantitative analysis
by ICP-AES to confirm the high lead reading.  Some enforcement authorities
might be more agressive and go straight to quantitative analysis, but they
will have to be quite sure of themselves if they want to prosecute someone
for Pb values a little higher than 0.1%, particularly if you did your due
diligence and had your reflowed solder checked and can document that with a
test certificate. The only problem with having an instrument manufacturer do
the test is that they likely do not qualify as an independent test lab and
cannot give a certificate that would hold the same weight as one from a
laboratory.

Tim McGrady