DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2006

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:57:12 -0500
Hi Mike!

The last boards I built using Thermagon I used a regular 63/37 solder
(my brand was Indium SMQ92J) on little rectangular boards similar to
yours, a small little power supply actually, and I ran them in a 8-up
durastone fixture because of their size.

I really didn't change my profile that much from what I would run a
regular FR4 board under. I slowed my belt speed down mainly because of
the mass of the fixture more than anything else. The aluminum actually
helps with the heat transfer across the boards. It keeps things real
even across the assembly (not that you would be worried about a
temperature delta with such a small board anyway).

The profile is all going to depend on what kind of oven you have...I
used a electrovert omniflo-10 and had a ramp-to-spike profile. My
settings were:

110     120     130     140     150     160     170     180     210
235
110     120     130     140     150     160     170     180     210
235

Running at a belt speed of 30-inches per minute.

-Steve Gregory-