DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2006

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2006 20:29:25 +0100
Hi Steve,

Its 8 layer through hole and also has 12th blind vias both sides (1 to 2, 7
to 8), 5th track/gap over a lot of the area and gold over nickel. The
component area is approx 3.5 x 2.5 ins. With both sides covered with SM
parts at about 20-30% parts to board area.
It's to be used for wire bonding open Si chips for a physics detector.
Its 14.5ins by 2.5ins 1/16th thick.
The board material seems good and the finish is very flat which is what is
required in this instance.
We intend to fix 5in x 2.5in silicon detectors on the board surface hence
the flatness.

The PCB manufacturers had a devil of a job making the boards. In fact they
failed to make the full quantity.
We are now with a new manufacturer who is happy with the design.
The failure may have been due to the material or just the amount of small
tracks and blind vias, only time will tell.
The PCB manufacturers had not used it before with this technology as far as
I know.
I know they had terrible trouble with the blind vias.

We have had 2 boards populated as prototypes for our design.
Unfortunately some of the chips have be placed 180 deg out. I have not yet
seen the finished results.
Seems to be a fated board this one.
Jigs were used to maintain the flatness during the machine soldering
process.

Regards
Jim