TECHNET Archives

September 2006

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 07:34:49 -0500
Hi Steve! It must be Friday if we are discussing exploding components!
Kemet has an very good summary of what can happen to Ta capacitors - in
short they can have a self sustaining metal oxide fire! Here is the Kemet
reference: Kemet Electronics Corporation Tantalum Applications Notes, Surge
Step Stress Testing in Tantalum Capacitors, 05/03/00. And I'll send you a
much more "dramatic" photo to post! All components have limits and Ta caps
are no exception.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

             stephen gregory
             <stephengregory58
             [log in to unmask]>                                          To
             Sent by: TechNet          [log in to unmask]
             <[log in to unmask]>                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             09/07/2006 06:17          Re: [TN] Tantalum Caps
             PM

             Please respond to
              TechNet E-Mail
                   Forum
             ; Please respond
              stephen gregory
             <stephengregory58

Hi John!

  Certanly can! They can literally EXPLODE!! I have a graphic example of
that with a picture that was sent to me some time ago when I asked about
Tantalums being moisture sensitive. Check out:

  http://stevezeva.homestead.com/files/Rpt_Molded_Tant.jpg

  This is what a tantalum looked like after it came out of reflow!!

  -Steve Gregory-

John Foster <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Can Tantalum Caps suffer from popcorning?

Can tant caps absorb enough moisture to cause this type of effect.

We just built some new boards and we have one particular part number tant
that is shorting
out left and right.

any input will be appreciated thanks

John Foster