TECHNET Archives

September 2006

From:
"Tempea, Ioan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Tempea, Ioan
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 08:18:22 -0400
Inge,

we're on XRF and the technology is far from producing highly accurate results for the electronic comps. You pick lead from the ceramic body, from the machined pins, all the good stuff that is exempt. So we are using it as a screening device. You would never be in confidence that you catch 0.01% Cd, even 0.1% lead comes and goes if you shoot the same sample several times.

We have tried to check the solder pot and got very different readings from one side of the sample to the other.

So the tool is fantastic for the exempt industries, that want to find lead and anything under 2% is rejected, but when you look for low levels of contaminants, good luck ! Still a good and handy tool for not-so-exempts, but you cannot swear that you are below the admitted levels.

Just my point of view,

Ioan