TECHNET Archives

September 2006

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Hfjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 19:14:10 +0200
Steve,

I've seen exactly the same, but what looked like copper was indeed a very
thin layer of nickel, despite the coppery nuance. IF you had bare copper, of
course the solder would wet. Solder loves copper. What we found was this:
the gold was extremly thin and had not protected the underlying nickel, so,
the gold was solved instantly and the solder met at bad and oxidised nickel,
with other words dewetting. We tried RA and a lot of tricks, but it all got
worse, so we had to return several lots to the supplier. Try handsoldering
with a good flux. If it won't wet, you may have same problem as we had. If I
remember well, we got not explanation why only these throughs. The failure
type never reocurred.

Inge