TECHNET Archives

September 2006

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:27:59 -0500
Hi Ioan!

Are you sure that things are really different between the "Leaded" and
"Lead-free" parts besides the plating? We were in a situation where we
had to build a consigned material assembly which is in the process of
becoming "compliant". However, our customer had purchased quite a number
of digital video devices and did not want to throw them away because
they weren't PB free...the assemblies that we were building weren't
going to the EU.

But we were using PB free solder paste and had some concerns about
whether or not the leaded parts would be able to withstand the lead-free
temperatures. So we called the manufacturer of the device inquiring if
the part could take the heat, and was told "unofficially" (like if we
repeated what he said he would deny it) that the only difference between
the lead-free and leaded part was the plating on the leads...nothing had
changed internally.

I wonder how many PB free parts REALLY have something different about
them besides the lead plating?

-Steve Gregory-